Six days ago, history was made on 12 June 2015 by The Glenlivet for clocking in the highest price ever paid for a single bottle of single malt whisky in Malaysia at a price tag of RM96,000. Guess what, I was there to witness the exhilaration, the happy faces, and the flustered faces after a night of good whisky and food. All's good, do read on for what happened that night.
|The Glenlivet Winchester Collection Vintage 1964 Sold For RM96,000|
At 8pm sharp on 12 June 2015, a 50 day online auction that started the hunt for a buyer and a home for Bottle No 3 from The Glenlivet Winchester Collection Vintage 1964 came to a close on a high.
In the end, the coveted bottle went to not one but four esteemed Guardians. Brought together by a common love for whisky, they decided band together and pool their resources to win the right to own one of the rarest bottle of single malt whisky ever produced.
|The Glenlivet Winchester Collection Vintage 1964 Bottle #3|
I was at the event early, hence I got the opportunity to interview Darren Hosie, Chivas Brothers’ Regional Mentoring Manager. Check out some of the notes I managed to jot down below, for a quick overview on The Glenlivet's vintage collection.
- Glenlivet, april 1964, first one, second 1966..
- 1st 100 bottles, collection of single malt whiskey, direct link to George smith, unique link direct..
- 1966 vintage.. also a 50 year old collection, will be launched in 2016.
- Glenlivet, first one to launch a collection. Aged whiskeys, for a long time.
- Selecting high quality cask. Back at the distillery, its sampled so that it age correctly.
- The reason 100 bottles, alcohol strength has dropped to 42.3%. magic number is 40%. 50 years aged bottles. Below 40% cannot bottle the scotch whiskey.
- Started at 90k, last checked 93, 94k. The whiskey would taste like: fruity, creamy toffee texture. Extremely long finish. If high quality cask, it shouldn’t be too woody. Bourbon cask, not cherry cask. After 12 years it was changed, the cask.
- At the moment it will be a collection of 50, future not sure, it will follow the quality. No set number of expressions.
- How does age affect the flavor?
- Flavor will be more complex, more smooth, more mellow, more gentle. Round of the edges, soften the flavor.
- What inspired the collection?
- 1st people to launch these collections. Glenlivet big believers of aging whiskey for long period of time.
|Pretty ladies serving us 18 year, 25 year whisky from The Glenlivet|
“It was definitely a tight race. We knew there were several others vying for it. It is a great bottle, a rare collector’s item and we are extremely pleased to have won it. We do not know when we will be opening it so for now we would like to savour the thought of being the ‘Guardians’ of this special bottle. When we do actually open the bottle, it will definitely be a unique occasion,” said one of the four Guardians, whom all declined to be named.
|One of the dishes that was served that night, Steamed Black Cod, Mandarin Peel, Black bean paste and spring spinach|
“With a few rare bottles, we can’t exactly call ourselves collectors. Perhaps this Bottle No. 3 is a good start. It’s not often that Malaysia is presented with such a unique bottle of whisky so when we heard that it was coming to Malaysia, we thought we ought to go for it. Maybe 1964 being the auspicious year of the Wood Dragon had something to do with it too!” said another.
|Chilled Osmanthus Cake with wolfberries and avocado Mocchi|
The winning bidders will also be enjoying a personalised trip for two to Scotland which includes a tour of The Glenlivet distillery, compliments of Pernod Ricard Malaysia. “The response to the auction has been both nerve wracking and exciting,” says Brand Manager Angelyn Gan of Pernod Ricard Malaysia. “The whisky community in Malaysia, among them our Guardians, has definitely grown.”
|Herb Braised Whole Abalone|
Bidders had to register as a Guardian on the online bidding site which at the end of the auction, had over 200 registrations.
“Malaysia is an important market for The Glenlivet. It is an honour for us to have a Malaysian Guardian add Bottle No 3 of Vintage 1964 to his collection,” says Darren Hosie, Chivas Brothers’ Regional Mentoring Manager.
|Just a shot with the 18 year old Glenlivet whisky instead|
The Malaysian chapter of The Guardians was formed through a series of “taste and discover” events which included pairing whisky with gourmet coffee, aged beef tasting and even, a haircut at the oldest barbershop in the world whilst sipping a dram.
For more information, check out The Glenlivet Malaysia Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/theglenlivet.my.