Tesla, the motor brand I've heard so much about, yet their electric cars have not found their way to Malaysian shores yet. Over the past weekend, I had the opportunity to attend an EV Experience event courtesy of Cyberview, where we got hands on experience with Tesla's premium electric sedan, the Model S. On top of that, it was an eye opening experience on what the future will bring.
|Tesla Model S (Premium Electric Sedan) Showcase @ EV Experience Cyberview Event|
Tesla’s advanced electric powertrain delivers exhilarating performance. Unlike a gasoline internal combustion engine with hundreds of moving parts, Tesla electric motors have only one moving piece: the rotor.
As a result, Model S acceleration is instantaneous, silent, and smooth. Step on the accelerator and in as little as 3.2 seconds Model S is travelling 60 miles per hour, without hesitation, and without a drop of gasoline. Model S is an evolution in automobile engineering.
|Only two brought into Malaysia, both at the showcase event|
Arriving at the event venue, organized by Cyberview, we were ushered into the shaded area, with the lovely red Tesla Model S on display inside for the public to explore and 'play' with. It was aptly named the EV Experience, with everything green and fossil fuel free. Outside we had a couple of other electric vehicles, and even an electric powered go-kart. Some fortunate folks even got to test drive the actual Tesla Model S around.
|The beautiful Maya Karin on a fully electric powered go-kart|
|Cute, fully electric powered vehicles available to test out|
|Welcome to the future|
I found the electric go kart, and mini vehicles at the outside area to be an eye opener. The future really is already here. Now we no longer have to depend on fuel, or any organic fossil material which will run out in the near future. The vehicles look really cool too! But hey, the centre attention is still on the Tesla Model S which was showcased in the main area. Check out below on the photos I managed to snap that afternoon.
|Front view of the Tesla Model S|
Tesla's Dual Motor Model S is a categorical improvement on conventional all wheel drive systems. With two motors, one in the front and one in the rear, Model S digitally and independently controls torque to the front and rear wheels, resulting in unparalleled traction control in all conditions.
Dual Motor all wheel drive is available as an option on 85 kWh battery equipped cars. Model S Performance comes standard with Dual Motor, pairing the high performance rear motor with a high e ciency front motor to achieve supercar acceleration, from zero to 60 miles per hour in 3.2 seconds.
|Empty compartment space in the front|
|... and the back|
- Lightweight aluminium body reinforced with high strength, boron steel elements
- UV and infrared blocking safety glass windshield
- Rain sensing, adjustable speed windshield wipers
- Frameless, tempered safety glass front windows
- Solar absorbing, laminated safety glass rear window with defroster
- Flush mounted door handles
- Power folding, heated side mirrors with memory
- 19" aluminium alloy wheels with all-season tires (Michelin Primacy MXM4 245/45R19)
- Aluminium roof
- Xenon headlights with automatic on/off
- LED daytime running lights
- Backlit side turn signals, front side marker lights and rear reflex lights
- LED rear taillights and high-mounted LED stop lamp
Tesla’s design and engineering teams have gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure that air ows smoothly above, around and below Model S to reduce drag, which in turn maximizes battery range. The smart air suspension lowers the car’s height at highway speeds to reduce its frontal area. Electronically controlled vents stay closed until sensors detect that cooling is necessary. The front bumper routes air uninterrupted beneath the battery’s. The result is a seven seat sedan with the stance of a coup and supercar aerodynamics.
|Really cool lights|
Model S door handles are a work of art. When a key is in close proximity, they automatically extend. When no longer in use, they retract into the body of the car, creating a seamless surface for air to pass over. There's an autopilot function too! I couldn't try it that day though.
Autopilot combines a forward looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors with real time tra c updates to automatically drive Model S on the open road and in dense stop and go tra c. Changing lanes becomes as simple as a tap of the turn signal. When you arrive at your destination, you can step out of the car and let Model S park itself.
|Charge it up, with the outlet being at the place a conventional fuel port would be|
|ChargEV charger for the Tesla Model S|
Scan the streamlined body panels and you’ll discover that Model S lacks a fuel door. Approach the driver’s side taillight with a charging connector and the hidden charge port automatically opens. The charging connector cannot be removed until Model S is unlocked. I was informed the vehicle can be charged from our home 3 pin plug as well, but it will take a good 10-11 hours for a full charge from zero, compared to 30 minutes on the ChargEV.
|Charge your ride up!|
- 10 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1-40 A (Optional 20 kW capable Dual Chargers increases input compatibility to 80 A)
- Peak charger efficiency of 92%
- 10 kW capable Universal Mobile Connector with 120 V, 240 V, and J1772 adapters
Model S is a driver’s car. The cabin combines meticulous noise engineering with Tesla’s uniquely quiet powertrain to obtain the sound dynamics of a recording studio. The gem of the interior is the 17 inch touchscreen, which is angled toward the driver and includes both day and night modes for better visibility without distraction. It puts rich content at your fingertips and provides mobile connectivity, so that you can easily send your destination, favorite song or a new restaurant.
|A huge 17 inch touchscreen display inside the Tesla Model S|
|Control everything, even the suspension system|
The Model S 17 inch touchscreen controls most of the car’s functions. Opening the all glass panoramic roof, customizing the automatic climate control, and changing the radio station all happen with a swipe or a touch. The touchscreen, digital instrument cluster, and steering wheel controls seamlessly integrate media, navigation, communications, cabin controls and vehicle data.
- Twelve way, power adjustable, heated front seats with memory
- Hand wrapped microfiber and synthetic leather interior surfaces in black
- Piano black décor accents
- Center armrest with two cup holders
- Open center console storage area
- Metal interior door handles
- Electrochromatic mirrors
- 60/40 split fold-down second row seats
- 200 watt, seven speaker stereo system with AM/FM/HD radio. Supports MP3, AAC, and MP4 music formats. System includes four speakers, two tweeters and one center channel speaker.
- 17" capacitive touchscreen with media, communication, cabin, and vehicle controls
- Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling and streaming music
- Three spoke, multi-function steering wheel with tactile controls
- Tire pressure monitoring system
|Love how cool the dashboard display looks|
Some specifications for the Tesla Model S 85 is in order, which I will happily list it down here for you.
- Length 196.0"
- Wheelbase 116.5"
- Width 86.2"
- With mirrors folded 77.3"
- Track Front 65.4", Rear 66.9"
- Clearance 5.65"
- With air suspension 4.7" - 6.4"
- Head room Front 38.8", Rear 35.3"
- Leg room Front 42.7", Rear 35.4"
- Shoulder room Front 57.7", Rear 55.0"
- Hip room Front 55.0", Rear 54.7"
- Seating capacity 5 adults
- Total cargo volume 31.6 cu ft
- Rear cargo volume 26.3 cu ft With seats down 58.1 cu ft
- Front trunk cargo volume 5.3 cu ft
- Turning circle 37 ft
- Curb weight 4,647.3 lbs
- Weight distribution Front 48%, Rear 52%
- 85 kWh battery with rear wheel drive (at the back)
- - 90 kWh upgrade increases range 6%
- 265 miles/430 km range (EPA)
- 5.4 seconds 0-60 mph
- 13.5 seconds 1⁄4 mile
- 382 hp/285kw motor power
- 325 lb-ft motor torque
- 140 mph/220kmh top speed
|It does look the part of a super luxury sedan|
- Model S is an electric vehicle available in both rear wheel and all-wheel drive configurations. The liquid-cooled powertrain includes the battery and one or more motors, drive inverters and gear boxes.
- 85 kWh microprocessor controlled, lithium-ion battery
- Three phase, four pole AC induction motor with copper rotor
- Drive inverter with variable frequency drive and regenerative braking system
Suspension, Steering, and Brakes
- Double wishbone, virtual steer axis coil spring front suspension and independent multi-link coil spring rear suspension
- Variable ratio, speed sensitive, rack and pinion electronic power steering
- Electronic Stability Control
- Traction Control
- Anti-Lock disc brakes (ABS) with ventilated rotors and electronically actuated parking brake; front: 355 mm x 32 mm; rear: 365 mm x 28 mm
|Charge it up|
- 4 year, 50,000 mile (whichever comes first) new vehicle limited warranty
- 8 year, unlimited mile battery and drive unit warranty
- Battery warranty covers damage from improper charging procedures and battery fire, even if the fire results from driver error
- Onboard maps and navigation with free updates for 7 years
- Mobile connectivity
- Keyless entry
- Driver profiles
- Driver seat detection sensor for start/stop functionality
- Cruise Control
- High definition backup camera
- Manual rear liftgate
- Power tilt and telescopic steering column
- Power windows featuring one-touch up and down with resistance reversing to protect
- against pinched fingers
- Micro-filter ventilation system with replaceable filters
- Front LED map lights and rear LED reading lights
- Front sun visors
- Front trunk and rear cargo area with keyless open
- 12 V power outlet
- Automatic climate control with dual zone temperature settings, air distribution controls and recirculation
- Glove compartment
- Wi-Fi ready
- Dual front USB ports for media and power
- Forward looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors
- Blind spot warning
- Automatic emergency braking
- Lane departure warning
- Parking sensors
- Speed limit display
- Eight airbags: head, knee and pelvis airbags in the front plus two side curtain airbags
- Driver and front passenger seat sensors
- Driver seat position sensor
- Three point driver and front passenger safety belts with retractor pretensioners and
- secondary lap anchor pretensioners and load limiters
- Three point second row safety belts for all three seats
- Acoustic front row safety belt warning
- Rollover crash sensor
- Crash sensor for high voltage disconnect
- Three second row LATCH attachments for child seat installations (accommodates three child seats simultaneously: two with LATCH and one with top tether and belt)
- Rear door child safety locks
- Interior, manual release mechanism for all doors, front trunk, and rear cargo area
- Anti-theft alarm and immobilizer system
|We were given an in-depth briefing on the Tesla Model S|
Overall it was a good weekend out at Cyberview Cyberjaya's EV Experience showcasing the Tesla Model S. I'm surprised it's not launched in Malaysia yet, and am really looking forward to the day this magnificent ride can be seen on our roads. I'm just feeling rather delighted to get a chance to feel and see up close the premium electric sedan, Tesla Model S. For more information do check out their website at www.teslamotors.com .